The Lubbock-Cooper High School Theatre Arts department offers a number of courses (Theatre Arts 1,2, & 3, and Theatre Productions 1-3) designed to teach all levels of students interested in the Theatre Arts.
The goals of the LCISD Theatre department are the following:
- Develop a culture of understanding and acceptance to all students
- Provide a safe environment for all students in the program to grow their art
- Create a cultural of equality among the students
- Refine sensory awareness in dramatic presentations
- Understand cultural heritages and traditions and the influences of theatre, film, television, and technology on media and society
- Reflect on and evaluate personal, peer, and professional work.
Life skills that can be learned through Theatre Arts:
- Confidence and public speaking
- Nonverbal communication
- Creativity/ thinking outside of the box
- Problem solving, Focus and concentration
- Accountability/being an invested member of a group
- How to receive constructive feedback
- Determination and consistency
There are no small parts, only small actors ~ Constantin Stanislavsky
It is important to understand that the LCISD Theatre Department holds open auditions for its productions. Any student is welcome to audition for any show.
A common phrase in our department is “You audition everyday!” Meaning that the directors watch the behaviors and attitudes of the students at all times, as these are the people with whom the directors eventually will work. If continued undesirable behavior is regularly observed, odd increase that specific student won’t be cast or crew.
At LCHS Theatre we put great effort into ensemble pieces, all of the students work together to tell a story. There are no “favorites” and no one student is more valuable than another.